Followers

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sneak Peek Sunday: May 12







Welcome back to Sneak Peek Sunday! This a fun little weekly event where authors participate in posting six paragraphs from a work in progress, or a completed work, published or unpublished. There's always a variety, so be sure to check out what authors have to offer!


I thought, since it's Mother's Day, that I would share a scene from Baby Stetson between Avery and her adoptive mother. They are very close, and Avery has a lot of changes in her life, but her mom is being supportive and wonderful.  Here's the snippet!




“I see you’re getting a head start,” Mom said, sitting on the bed beside the open bag. 

“I couldn’t sleep.  Each dream I had was worse then the one prior,” Avery admitted, folding up the last of the skirts she’d chosen and placed them on top of the pile. 

Mom reached for Avery’s hand and pulled her to stand right in front of her.  “Avery.  You’re going to be just fine, whatever happens.  I want you to remember that Dad and I love you, and we have been so blessed and lucky to have you come into our lives.  You already know I was devastated after Paula ran off.  Having you around was wonderful.  When I first saw you, bundled up in that beat up Stetson hat, I believed it to be a sign.  I knew then we had to do whatever it took to keep you safe.  When your parents couldn’t be found, I told your father, no questions asked, that we
 were going to fight for you.  I haven’t regretted a day of it since.” 

“Mom, you’re going to make me cry again,” Avery sniffed, but she couldn’t keep the smile from spreading across her face.  “I love you too.  I’ve always wanted to know where I came from.  I’ve loved being here with you and Dad in Harmony’s Echo.  I’ve thought about what you said about following my dreams, and as hard as it will be to leave you, I realize that music is something I want to pursue.  I want to thank you for the encouragement and neverending support you always give me.”  Avery hugged her mother tight. 

“I’ve always been a little fearful- okay, well that’s under exaggerated.  I’ve been very fearful of the day you may find your birth parents, but I know now that you would never forget us.  That’s the reason you stayed around even when you had the chance to spread your wings and fly.  No matter the distance between us, you are still my beautiful, talented wonderful daughter.”  Tears cascaded down her mother’s cheeks, which started Avery with her own waterworks. 

“Thank you so much.”  Avery cried into Mom’s shoulder.  “Thank you for everything you’ve done and continue to do.  I would not be the woman I am today without you.  You’re the best.” 




And there you have it! Today's scene!




Baby Stetson for Kindle

Baby Stetson for Nook

Baby Stetson for Kobo

Add Baby Stetson to your Goodreads list!




Check out some other authors snippets!  And thanks for coming by! 





15 comments:

  1. What a sweet scene, Nikki. Makes me wish my mom was still around.

    Hope you're having a good Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyndi!

      I am having a pretty good day, thanks. I hope you are as well.

      Delete
  2. What a great scene. It reminded me of my own mother, who I miss everyday. She was my great supporter and said things to me that were almost word for word what Avery's mother said to her. Thank you for bringing that memory back for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're welcome. I'm glad you have those memories. I loved the relationship between Avery and her mom. Thank you for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Oh, that was so emotional. It proves that you don't have to give birth in order to be a mother. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! Mothers don't just have to be by blood relation. Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  4. Great excerpt for Mother's Day. There are all kinds of mothers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly are. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Sweet scene and perfect for Mother's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Thought it was nicely fitting :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete